Proposal Prep Guides
UM Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
- Getting Grants
- Includes grant writing tips, a list of common reasons why proposals are rejected, a sample letter of inquiry, and steps to getting a grant (the process at UM)
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Tips on Writing a Grant Proposal
- Grant Writing Tutorial
- National Institutes of Health
- Grant Application Basics
- NIAID Grants Tutorial (includes an annotated example of an R01 proposal)
- Model K08 Application
- National Science Foundation
- Grant Proposal Guide
- NSF FastLane
- The Foundation Center
- Proposal Writing Short Course
- Philanthropy Northwest
- Tips on Grantwriting (includes a description of the different types of foundations)
Other Internet Resources on Proposal Preparation
- Barrett, Ellen. Hints for Writing Successful NIH Grants
- A brief list of tips applicable to other proposals as well
- Kraicer, Jacob. The Art of Grantsmanship;
- Science Careers How to Get Funding
- Includes advice columns from the Grant Doctor and additional articles on grant writing and finding funding
- Blackburn, T. R. 2003. Getting Science Grants: Effective Strategies for Funding Success. Jossey-Bass.
- Friedland, A. J. and C. L. Folt. 2000. Writing Successful Science Proposals. Yale University Press.
- Gordon, J. C. 2007. Planning Research: A Concise Guide for the Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences. Yale University Press.
- Hailman, J. and K. B. Strier. 2006. Planning, Proposing and Presenting Science Effectively: A Guide for Graduate Students and Researchers in the Behavioral Sciences and Biology. Cambridge University Press.